2 pounds (903g) chicken wings
4 (678g) small russet potatoes, quartered
3 (16g) garlic cloves, crushed
1 (30g) shallot, roughly chopped
1 (159g) onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon (15g) ginger, crushed & sliced into thin pieces
1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock
1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce 生抽 (not low sodium)
1 tablespoon (15ml) oyster sauce 蠔油
1 tablespoon (15ml) dark soy sauce 老抽
1 teaspoon (5ml) roasted sesame oil 麻油
Optional Garnish: 1 stalk (30g) green onion, cut into 2 inches strips
----- Thinkener -----
2.5 tablespoons (22.5g) cornstarch
3 tablespoons (45ml) cold water
1. Prepare Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click Adjust button to Sauté More function). Ensure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
2. Prepare Chicken Wings: Pat dry the chicken wings’ skin with paper towels. Lightly season with kosher salt.
3. Sauté Chicken Wings: Pour 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in pressure cooker. Ensure to coat oil over whole bottom of the pot. Place chicken wings in Instant Pot and saute until lightly browned. Roughly 7 - 8 minutes. Remove and set aside.If you like firmer potatoes, you can saute them at this point. Skip if you want fluffy potatoes.
4. Sauté Onions & Garlic: Add 1 tbsp (15g) crushed ginger, chopped onions and shallot in the Instant Pot. Sauté for 1 - 2 minutes until fragrant. Add in crushed garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
5. Deglaze: Add in ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock and deglaze by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
6. Pressure Cook Chicken Wings: Add in 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) oyster sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) dark soy sauce, and 1 tsp (5ml) roasted sesame oil. Add in browned chicken wings and potatoes, then mix well with the sauce mixture. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes Natural Release (if Floating Valve doesn’t drop after 10 minutes, turn Venting Knob to the Venting Position to release remaining pressure). Turn off the heat. Open the lid carefully.
7. Thicken Gravy: Set aside the cooked chicken wings and potatoes in a serving bowl. Press Cancel button, then Sauté button to heat up the sauce. In a small mixing bowl, mix 2.5 tbsp (22.5g) cornstarch with 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water. Mix it in one third at a time until desired thickness. Taste the gravy and season with more salt or light soy sauce if necessary. Pour the chicken wings and potatoes back into the inner pot and gently mix everything together without breaking up the potatoes too much.
8. Serve: Garnish with green onions and serve with your favorite side dishes.